Thoughts and questions, w. b. 4/10/20
The main part of this reading could be seen as the discussion between the Chief Priest and the priests and Pharisees, but we notice that this follows quickly on the raising of Lazarus from the dead.
- Why do you think some of the witnesses to the raising of Lazarus went to the religious authorities? – v46
- Why do you think these religious leaders see ‘miraculous signs’ as a bad thing? – v47
- In what ways do you think these religious leaders feel threatened?
- What do you think these religious leaders, in particular, had to lose? – v48
- What did Caiaphas mean by his words? – v50
John see Caiaphas as speaking prophetically (v51)
- What do you think John means by, ‘to bring them together and make them one’? – v52
- Do you feel ‘together’ and ‘one’ with other believers, whether within our church, or with other believers even worldwide? Why/why not?