Thoughts and questions, w. b. 14/2/21
Within this passage James highlights two different sources of wisdom, one from the devil and one from heaven.
- What do you think James means with the word ‘understanding’ (NIV) here? – v13
- Can you give an example, either from your own life or not, of this understanding?
James has previously written about deeds (I will show you my faith by what I do – James 2:18). Here he speaks more about deeds.
- Who, would you say, is your perfect example of a person of humility?
- What, would you say, is a good life for a Christian? Give an example of a deed.
- Have you ever seen examples of bitter envy or selfish ambition in a Church? – v14
Have a look at the list of good things that come from heavenly wisdom – v17
Consider each of these, and pray about them:
Full of mercy
Full of good fruit
- Can you see (and explain) how these have been growing in you?
I suggest that we should be at peace with ourselves, at peace with each other, and at peace with God.
- Are there any of these ideas of peace that you struggle with?
- In what way can you be (and have you been) a peacemaker? – v18