Thoughts and questions, w. b. 19/7/20
- What does the idea of Jesus being ‘the light of the world’ mean to you? – v12
- Why do you think Jesus knowing where He was from and where He would be going to would validate His testimony? – v14
- Jesus declares, “I pass judgment on no one.” – v15 Would you say that this is Divine side, or do you think as human beings we also can achieve this position?
We note another reference here (v20) that ‘His hour had not yet come.’ This, we mentioned previously, was probably referring to His death (and resurrection?).
- What do you think Jesus means by His listeners being ‘from below’? – v23
- How would you respond if someone said to you that they were from above and you were from below?
- How do you understand the words ‘die in your sins’? – v24
- From what you know how would you explain the Father? – v27
- Assuming that lifting up the Son (v28) means the cross, how will this show who Jesus is?
- Jesus has full confidence in the Presence of His Father (see memory verse below). Do you have such confidence in God being with you?
- Jesus elsewhere (Matthew 5:14) said that we are ‘the light of the world.’ What does this mean to you?
Memory verse, should you want to learn it:
“The one who sent me is with me;
he has not left me alone,
for I always do what pleases him.”