Thoughts and questions, w. b. 23/8/20
John concludes this chapter on sight with Jesus returning to find the man whom He had healed. The man has just been answering questions from the Pharisees and has been thrown out from their presence.
- The two phrases ‘Son of Man’ (here – v35) and ‘Son of God’ (e.g. 1 John 5:20) seem to be interchangeable. What is significant about each of these?
- What does it mean to ‘believe in’ somebody, such as Jesus?
- Rather than Jesus saying ‘I am He’, He says ‘the One speaking with you’. Why do you think Jesus talks of Himself in the third person singular (‘He’)?
- What do you think John means by ‘worshipped’ here? – v38
- What does the idea that Jesus came to bring judgment mean to you? – v39
- How do you understand the blind seeing and the seeing being blind?
- What do you see as the link between seeing and sin (Jesus uses the opposites of not seeing = not sinning here)? – v41
- Jesus says that the Pharisees think they see. What do you think He was referring to?
- Why do people whom you know not see Jesus?