Thoughts and questions, w. b. 26/7/20
Although we recognise that Jesus came in order to die (for our salvation) and rise again (for our hope) he also came to teach.
- If you were asked where to find the teaching of Jesus, what would you say?
- Is there any key teaching that you remember? Why?
- Why do you think there is a link here between teaching and being a disciple? – v31
- In what way(s) can truth set you free?
The Jewish people were great believers in the purity of their family tree.
- Why was being a descendant of Abraham important? – v33, v39
- What does it mean to be a slave to sin? – v34
- In what way has Jesus set you free? – v36
- Why do you think some people wanted to kill Jesus? – v37, v40
- In what ways can people be children of the devil? – v44
Jesus, time-and-again, declares that He has come from God:
He has been in the Father’s presence (v38)
He has been sent by God (v42)
- What would such phrases mean to His listeners?
- What do you think it means to ‘belong to God’’? – v47 (twice)