Dover Baptist Church
Thoughts and questions, w. b. 30/8/20
Continuing his discussion with the Pharisees about the healing of the blind man (chapter 9) Jesus compares, actually contrasts, Himself with the Pharisees.
- How do you understand the role of the shepherd? – v2
- What is the difference between a ‘good’ shepherd and a ‘bad’ one?
- Why is it important that the sheep know the shepherd’s voice, and how does this apply to us? – v4
In Israel at this time (maybe for all time) the shepherd walked ahead of his sheep.
- What does this picture of the shepherd ‘leading’ the sheep say to you?
The good shepherd laying down his life and taking it up again (v17-18) probably reminds us of Good Friday and Easter day.
- What do you think the original hearers would have thought about the shepherd laying down and taking up his life?
- How often do you think about Jesus’ death, and what it has achieved for you?
If you have time for meditation, alongside this passage could I suggest you read slowly through and pray about Psalm 23.