Dover Baptist Church
Thoughts and questions, w. b. 27/12/20
The baby, Jesus, has been born, and the shepherds have come and gone. A few months later Jesus, Mary and Joseph are still in Bethlehem, but have moved out of the stable.
The Magi, following an extremely bright star, journey to Israel, as, for them, something important was happening. A new, royal, special baby has been born.
- Why do you think Matthew is the only Gospel writer to include the visit of the Magi?
- Who do you think the Magi were, and why was their first destination Jerusalem? – v1
- What do you think the word ‘disturbed’ (see NIV) means here, and why? – v3
- What do you know of this king Herod, and what do you think were his thoughts concerning the birth of a King?
- In what ways do you see Jesus as a) a ruler, and b) a shepherd? – v6
- Why do you think the star in this story is so important? – v2, 7, 9 – and why did it give them such joy? – v10
Note where they were and who was there (v11) when the Magi arrived.
- How important is it to you that they heard from God in a dream, and what does their following action say? – v12
Suggested dates from ‘The Star of Bethlehem’ DVD:
Conception Sept 3BC; Birth June 2BC; Magi Dec 2BC